Sunday 5 October 2014

Interview at C-Realm podcast

If you look at the little blogroll down the side of my web site, you'll notice that they seem an unusual mix. Some, like the Archdruid Report or the Automatic Earth, write detailed epistles on the future, examining what current trends mean to the world we or our children might see someday.

Others, like American Conservative, Imaginative Conservative, First Things or Front Porch Republic, are thoughtful and intelligent political publications. Still others, like Orion, contain some of the best writing on ecology.

Grit is a farming and homesteading magazine, Mother Earth News focuses on sustainable living, and I read Dragon's Tales just for some of the most entertaining new scientific papers. Some of them simply focus on simple living, one of the best kinds of activism around.

From all this, you can guess that I don't ally with people simply because they tick the same political or religious box that I do. I'm more interested in listening to people who try to understand some of the global problems we face, who are doing something to make their corner of the world better in some way, and who are of all backgrounds, countries, political bents and religions. I want to hear ideas I haven't heard before, and to build bridges with other people who understand that we're all in this together.

I also like listening to other people who do the same, and one podcast in particular does that consistently - the "C-Realm," which I have listened to for seven years. The show's host, KMO, features authors I've often enjoyed -- Charles Mann, John Michael Greer, James Howard Kunstler, Derrick Jensen and Dmitri Orlov -- and introduced me to many more. An episode might feature a podcaster like Jordan Harbinger or Frank Aragonna, a blogger like Chad Hill of the HipCrime Vocab, an economist like Ilargi or a minister like Oren Whiddon -- and all those examples are from the last six months. KMO demonstrates that one man with a microphone and a phone can create more thought-provoking shows than most radio networks.

Now, he's featuring an interview with me, over the article I wrote for the American Conservative about the riots in my old neighbourhood of Ferguson, Missouri. Check it out.


Photo: Ferguson protests, courtesy of Wikipedia.

No comments: